Member Login

About Us

Mission Statement

The members of the Pittsburgh Field Club are committed to upholding and advancing the proud history, traditions, and purposes on which the Club was founded and ensuring the continuity of such for generations of members to come.


To that end we will:
  • Manage, maintain, and promote our outstanding golf facility at the highest standard of excellence while promoting the fine traditions of the game.
  • Provide a gracious setting for the daily and special social occasions of its' members and guests.
  • Provide excellent programs and facilities for racquet sports, swimming, skeet. and other athletic and social activities.
  • Provide for and ensure the viability of the Club through sound business practices recognizing the dynamic social, regulatory, and environmental responsibilities of our membership and community.
  • Maintain effective human relations, a respectful work environment, and recruitment practices that allow the club to be the preferred employer in the club industry in this region.

Dress Code Rules


We ask that you to adhere to our dress code policy while you are visitng - Thank you!

Dress regulations for adults and teenagers are as follows:
  • Dungarees, jeans and short-shorts will not be permitted anywhere in or around the clubhouse, porches or golf course at any time. Blue jeans that are not tattered and torn are permitted as acceptable dress only at 1882 and skeet hut during the winter season.
  • Clubhouse dining areas: Diebold Tavern-informal, club room-formal dining-jacket required, porch & terrace-informal; slacks, sweaters, golf and tennis attire.
  • Gentlemen are required to tuck in all shirts throughout the entire clubhouse area.
  • Caps and visors are not to be worn anywhere in the clubhouse.
  • Meeting and banquet rooms – until 5 p.m. – Informal; slacks, sweaters and  sportswear.
  • Meeting and banquet rooms – after 5 p.m. – Sport coats (tie optional), slacks, sweaters with collared shirt for men and boys; comparable attire for ladies and girls.
  • 1882 - Informal at all times - Slacks, sweaters, sportswear.  Blue jeans that are not tattered or torn are permitted as acceptable dress in 1882 only from Sept. - May.
  • Skeet hut - informal at all times.  Blue jeans are permitted.
  • Golf Course - Sport shirts and slacks or shorts no more than 5" above knee for men and boys, shorts and golf skirts may be no more than 5" above the knee for women and girls.  At no time are tank-type shirts, mini skirts, sweatpants, silk screened t-shirts, cargo style shorts/slacks with tattered external pockets, dungarees or jeans permitted.  All shirts must be tucked in unless designed to be worn outside clothing.  For the safety of all golfers, shoes must be worn at all times while on the golf course.  Golf shoes with metal spikes are prohibited on the golf course and on the practice areas.
  • Any questions please inquire at the front desk 412-963-8500.
  • The Pittsburgh Field Club is a smoke free facility.
  • In an attempt to value every member, the House Committee has selected areas for smoking, please inquire at the front desk.

Pittsburgh Field Club History

Near what is now the corner of Forbes Avenue and South Braddock Avenue in the Regent Square section of Pittsburgh was the original home for the Pittsburgh Cricket Club, chartered into existence on April 1, 1882. Cricket was the only sport played at the Cricket Club until 1895. At that point, after golf was introduced to the Cricket Club members by John Moorehead Jr., three rudimentary golf holes were constructed as the Club was reorganizing to provide its members lively activities in all branches of sport and social recreation.

New clubs like the Duquesne Country and Athletic Club (DCAC) were forming at that time with emphasis on team sports such as baseball, football, and basketball. On June 6, 1896, the newly named Pittsburgh Field Club applied for and was granted a charter under the intent to be a country club where sports were to be played as recreation and social features of club life were to be given special prominence.

On July 3, 1914, Henry Clay Frick, the owner of the land on which the club resided, terminated the lease immediately leading to a decline in membership and an immediate search for other property. Later that year, under the leadership of member J.H. Tonkin and his newly formed grounds committee, the Club purchased 171 acres on which the property still exists. Construction of the golf course began in August of 1914 under the watchful eye of Alexander H. Findlay, the “Father of American Golf”, and was completed and open for play on June 1, 1915. The original clubhouse was also completed in June of 1915 just in time for a formal grand opening. Sadly, on April 14, 1924, the original clubhouse burned to the ground. One year later, a new clubhouse was constructed which still exists today.

The Club has evolved throughout the years and continues to provide its members, their families and guests the opportunity of numerous activities, both social and athletic. Since its inception in 1882, the club has offered the following sports: Cricket, Golf, Swimming, Tennis, Paddle Tennis, Skeet Shooting, Fishing, and Bowling plus numerous social and family activities.
                                                                                               

THE GOLF COURSE What started as a three hole course on the H.C. Frick property in 1895, to today’s 18 hole layout complete with unparalleled practice facilities and course conditions, the story of golf at the Pittsburgh Field Club is ever changing.


The original design of the golf course at its present day location was done by Alexander H. Findlay and was constructed by Fred Pickering. Many of the original holes or parts of the original holes are still in use today; however, some of his original holes like the 600 yard par 6 #12 played to an island green followed by “Gibraltar”, a 165 yard par 3 with its green perched on top of a sharp cliff have gone away.

Since that time, the golf course and property have undergone numerous changes. Properties were purchased that are now the practice area as well as the current #11 and #12 holes. Modifications to the golf course have been done by Donald Ross, Albert (A.W.) Tillinghast, Willie Park Jr., Emil Loeffler & John McGlynn, Robert Trent Jones, Arthur Hills, Craig Schreiner, Tripp Davis, and Keith Foster which have created the layout that exists today.

MAJOR CHAMPIONSHIPS

In May of 1937, The Pittsburgh Field Club hosted the PGA Championship with players competing for a purse of $12,000. Players such as Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Paul Runyan, and defending champion Denny Shute competed over two days of stroke play qualifying followed by four days of match play. In the end, Denny Shute defended his title defeating Jug McSpaden on the first hole of sudden death.

 In June of 1953, the Field Club hosted one of the qualifying rounds for the US Open that was contested at Oakmont CC. At that time, all players with the exception of the defending champion had to participate in 36 holes of stroke play qualifying Tuesday and Wednesday before the championship proper. The US Open was eventually won by Ben Hogan who defeated Sam Snead by six shots.

In July of 1959, the Field Club hosted the Western Open a long standing tour event rich in history and tradition. Scores were low and on the final day, the final pairing consisted of Arnold Palmer and Mike Souchak. Palmer missed a 3 ½ foot putt for par on the final hole and Souchak claimed victory with rounds of 67-66-69-71-273 and took home his $5000 fist place prize. Incidentally, a 19 year old amateur named Jack Nicklaus led the amateur group of players.
 In 2003, The Field Club hosted one of the qualifying rounds for the US Amateur Championship that was contested at Oakmont CC. A field of over 300 players competed to make it to match play. In the end, Nick Flanagan defeated Casey Wittenberg in 37 holes.
  The Field Club has also hosted many Pennsylvania Golf and Western Pennsylvania Golf Association events over the years to continue its history of championship golf.
 

THE ELEVATOR

 The original 18th hole at the Pittsburgh Field Club was a severely uphill 277 yard par 4 that played to the top of “Pike’s Peak”; the site of the present day practice putting green. The hole was modified in 1930 but the strenuous, severe uphill climb for golfers was still there. Golf cars were unheard of and on hot summer days, the risk of fatal heart attacks was real. Tradition and anecdotes indicate that fatal heart attacks did occur and as a result, the final chapter of the hole was written in 1938. In that year, an elevator was erected beside #17 green which transported golfers up 70 feet to the 265 foot long bridge leading them to the newly constructed 18th tee at the top of the hill. The hole became a par 3 and remains that way today. The elevator ride to the top takes 39 seconds and still transports thousands of golfers every year.